Skip to main content

Giving Thanks for Being Czech

I've recently been looking through Sean N. Gallup's wonderful book Journeys into Czech-Moravian Texas (Texas A&M University Press, 1998) at the same time I've been looking through photos I took of my mom's last months. She passed away in January of this year. On page 83 of the book, Gallup has a poignant photo of small boy only a few years younger than my youngest son (at left). In the text under the photo, Gallup wrote "Trey [Ging] will likely never learn to speak more than a few words of Czech, and though the culture may remain evident in the values that guide him later in life, one can only wonder if he will retain his sense of connection to a Texas-Czech ethnic and personal identity."

These words were in my head as I looked at photos from my mom's last Thanksgiving dinner. My family and my sister-in-law's family joined at the home of my brother and his wife in Houston. There was absolutely nothing Czech about our meal, I'll say right up front. When it comes to Thanksgiving, my father's favorite holiday, we eat as traditionally American as any other family. My brother cooked both roast and fried turkeys (and even fried an extra so that everyone had leftovers to take home) and provided most of the adult libations. The rest of us divided up the appetizers, sides, and desserts among us to bring potluck style.

I thought about trying to force some Czech-style cooking method or ingredients onto a traditional Thanksgiving dish for the purpose of being able to write about it for this blog, but decided against it. I ended up taking corn pudding (or casserole), which did ironically come from the SPJST 100th anniversary cookbook, plus a pear tart from the November 2018 issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine, and the makings of Poinsettia Cocktails, a recipe straight from the internet.

Other family members brought mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, green salad, roast sweet potatoes, pumpkin tres leches cake, pecan pie, bacon-wrapped figs, crudités arranged to look like a turkey and served with ranch dressing, a cheese tray with almonds, and a vanilla cake.


Though our menu was decidedly American, I did think a lot about the undercurrents of family dynamics, division of labor, and communication among the 28 of us enjoying each other's company that day and how they reflected the values that I associate with Czechs. At a time when immigration, ethnicity, and questions about American values are at the forefront of discussions, I often reflect on my own family's story.

I am the great-granddaughter of immigrants (and great-great-granddaughter and great-great-great-granddaughter.) My earliest ancestor to set foot here in Texas (and they ALL came to Texas on both my mother's and father's side) only came in the 1850s. That's generations later than some of my Mexican-American friends' relatives. My grandmother, who died at 98 only last year, still spoke some Polish learned from her father who's grandfather came to Texas from what is now Poland. I love having direct connections to the relatives that gave up everything known to them at that point to try and make a better life for themselves in America.  It fills me with gratitude to them and for the opportunities they had here. The connections compel me to hope for the same opportunities for anyone brave enough to leave their home country seeking the same things my ancestors sought. I'm lucky enough to be generations away from that heart-breaking journey and hope I never become hardened to the idea that other people have the right to embark on the same journey now.


I think about the intangible things handed down to me from generations of Czech and Polish immigrant ancestors trying to make better lives... not food traditions, or national costumes, or a love of polka music, but ways of being, of seeing the world, ways of prioritizing my responsibilities, and what things are important to me. Of course, things like hard work are not exclusive to any ethnic group, but below are some ways my family carried on its Czech-ness while celebrating being Americans on Thanksgiving.

Multi-generational togetherness - Grandparents, parents, children, siblings, cousins, in-laws, aunts, and uncles all passed around the baby. Grandparents told stories and grandchildren told stories. We settled squabbles and let the older folks make their plates first. Cousins from age 9 to 19 swam in the pool, played board games, and video games.


Love of adult libations - This family trait is certainly not exclusive to Czechs, but Czechs are big drinkers and our family certainly enjoys a glass of wine or scotch or the fantastic brandy my brother poured me late in the day as I played Illimat.

Hard work and cooperation - from rocking to sleep my sister-in-law's sister's baby to ripping all the meat off the turkey carcass so we could make soup broth to washing dishes to filling up what seemed like dozens of "to go" containers with leftovers, we do not shy away from things that need to be done. Some jobs (like rocking babies to sleep) are sweeter than others.

It pleases me to think about my mother surrounded by family and extended family on her last Thanksgiving, enjoying the fruits of the labors and feeling the support and companionship of generations of people who loved her. And knowing the values she was raised with and raised us with are being passed on, whether we identify them as a legacy of our Czech background or not.











Comments

  1. Such a wonderful post, Dawn! Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday to reflect on the blessings of our Czech culture and of all the cultures that make up the beautiful quilt of our country - it makes you much more aware of how interconnected we all are.
    Like your Family, I have the same warm memories of our Family get-togethers. They give a comforting sense of being connected, of being part of the whole, tying together the past, present, and future.
    ~ Linda W.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a