Skip to main content

33rd Caldwell Kolache Festival

 In 2013 and 2015, I was a judge at the Caldwell Kolache Festival. This year, because of baking so many kolaches in the last 2 months after starting a home-based cottage food business, I decided to enter the baking contest. Though I’ve only been in business since the end of July, the proceeds I’ve made from the business just barely exceeded the limit over which I am considered a “professional.”  Needless to say, baking in my apartment one pan at a time could not compete with the likes of Pearl Snap in Fort Worth (2018 Reserve Professional Grand Champion) and Zamykal Kolaches in Dallas (2018 Professional Grand Champion), both commercial bakeries cranking out huge (and huge numbers of) kolaches. I did not even place, but wasn’t surprised either.

The morning of the contest, I had my alarm set for 3:30 a.m. This was going to give me enough time to make dough for 48 kolaches, fill, and bake them, shower etc., while the dough was rising, get my 9 year old up and ready to go, and be out the door by 8am. I live in Austin and Caldwell is an hour and a half away – there was a deadline of 10am to submit one’s entries into the contest and I wanted to have plenty of time to park and get to where needed to be. My alarm did not go off and I woke up at 5:20 a.m, two hours after I needed to.


I did manage to make dough for 24 kolaches, which gave me 12 kolaches to choose from of two flavors . One must enter 6 kolaches in a flavor category that are the most uniform. I made fig kolaches (to enter into the Other Fruit category) and prune kolaches, thankfully still a category of its own, because of its distinction as one of the Big Four traditional flavors. The other three are, of course, apricot, cheese, and poppyseed. For perspective on the way the trend in flavors is going, the Grand Champions in both the nonprofessional and the professional categories did not win with one of the Big Four flavors.

My son and I barely made it to Caldwell in time and my kolaches suffered – I was very rushed and so worried about making the entry deadline that I took them out of the oven too soon. The feedback on my score sheets from the judges noted that mine weren’t golden on top and were even, gulp, underbaked. Yikes.

A few prize-winning recipes have been published from the Festival and can be seen here and here if you’re interested in the kind of kolaches that are most favored there. 

My son and I did, however, have a wonderful day at the festival. Apparently, festival organizers are trying to get a younger group of people interested in the event. There were several changes that made it more enjoyable than the last time I was there, like greater food truck diversity, polka music under a pavilion for shade, and (though I didn’t take advantage of it), a wine and beer garden tent. It also rained several times during the day, forcing us to retreat to the car a couple of times to listen to podcasts, which was a nice break for a 9-year old waiting hours and hours with me between the time we dropped the kolaches off and the award announcements at 4pm. 


From the kids being pulled around in wagons to the interesting local artists selling their goods, the festival is sweet. And, since the Westfest baking contest was cancelled this year, it’s the only dedicated kolach baking contest in the state. So I’ll attend the 34th annual Caldwell Kolaches Festival next year to support it, but I’ll just eat sausage on a stick, buy crafts, polka dance, and buy other people’s kolaches. 




Comments

  1. Wow! I loved your story. I know exactly how you felt. I've set my alarm before to wake up early to get kolache dough going and over-slept, also.
    I have also, entered the State Kolache Contest in Caldwell. The year was 1996 or there abouts! I entered under non-professional and at that time contestants brought their kolaches inside the courthouse! I entered pineapple and also cream cheese. My pineapple won Grand Champion and the cream cheese won Reserve-Grand Champion. I was so very excited I could hardly believe it. I wasn't baking for customers yet, at that time, so that's why I entered in non-professional. I could never have competed in the professional category!
    We used to have the Czech Fest here in Rosenberg in the '90's and early 2000's. My sisters and even our brother entered the kolache contest many times. We loved competing against each other, keeping our flavors a secret til we saw each other at the contest!
    I enjoy your stories so very much. The tradition of making kolaches in our family will continue through the years. Both of our daughters bake kolaches and have won the kolache contest at the Klobase-Kolache Festival in East Bernard. We're keeping our Czech traditions alive and well which is so very important to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your comments. And congratulations on your 1996 HUGE win. (Can I have your pineapple recipe if it's not a guarded secret?) It's fantastic that your siblings competed with/against you in Rosenberg and that you're passing the baking traditions down. Please don't stop! And I appreciate you reading the blog. Very warm regards - Dawn

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a