Skip to main content

At Memory's Table



I am overwhelmingly grateful to have been sitting “at memory’s table” my entire life. By that I mean, though my parents had moved me and my siblings to several states and back to Texas by the time I was in 4th grade, the people in my life were stable and family connections were so strong that absorbing our shared history was unavoidable.  And food was inseparable from that.

Orsak family reunion
My parents are fascinated by both history and food. My maternal grandmother lived in her house (and her kitchen) for over 70 years. All branches of my grandparents’ families have had reunions—for decades and decades—with fantastic food. Though my parents were adventurous eaters, we definitely grew up with weeknight staple meals that all my siblings can name and remember. Tradition is extremely important for us, resulting in a Christmas eve meal that includes dishes served continuously for over a century. Historically people have lived a long time in my family, so my parents and I and my children all grew up loving and hearing stories of the past from older, sometimes much older, people. I grew up with a strong ethnic background (Texas Czech) which grounded me in a particular community with its own history and food traditions. Each of these forces has shaped my obsessions with food, with family connections, with the vestiges of history present all around us at every moment if we're open to them, either by knowledge or by memory. 

Chicken noodle soup at the Victoria Czech Fest
Eating ginger cookies reminds me of my great aunt Bessie, who used to make sweet handmade crafts. Scrambled egg sandwiches are comforting to me because I associate them with being taken care of by my mother when recovering from an upset stomach. Czech chicken noodle soup makes me think of the joy and togetherness of church picnics and family Christmas gatherings. I assume (hope) that everyone is comforted by at least a few dishes whose smell or taste is associated with a nurturing person, happy event, or other positive memory. I believe that the recipes for dishes like these should be preserved and shared. I’ve collected cookbooks all my adult life and the ones that I look through the most reflect these things. They focus on either a particular culture or region’s food, illuminate a particular time period, or are a reflection of the author’s family. 

My grandmother, Anita (Morkovsky) Kallus, in her kitchen
I am offering my passion for all things food, family, and history along with my writing, organization, and planning skills in service through At Memory’s Table, my new business. I want to help people record and share their own memorable dishes through a family cookbook or recipe cards, or plan a unique family reunion, or create a book or game that allows them to preserve family stories and history. The website for the business is here and I invite you to take a look. Contact me if you’re interested in my services or keep reading my blog, which I will continue with. And thank you, readers, for your kind comments over the last 8 years of this blog. Your interest and encouragement have inspired me and I am grateful.

Since this is a food blog, I offer the recipe below for the ginger cookies I mention above, made by my great aunt Bessie (Morkovsky) Kocian.
 
Bessie (Morkovsky) Kocian
Ginger Cookies

2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons powdered ginger 

Put vegetable oil in a bowl, add sugar and stir. Add egg and beat until creamy. Stir in the molasses. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the mixture. Form small balls, the size of a pecan, and drop onto a plate of white sugar. Coat the ball with sugar on all sides and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until "crinkled", then place on top shelf until slightly browned. Remove from the pan while hot and place on a rack to cool.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a