Skip to main content

Breakfast in Galveston

Photo by Lori Najvar's camera. 
Earlier this month, I was in Galveston staying at my sister and brother-in-law's beach house for the first "girlfriends weekend" I've ever hosted. This was a formidable group of women whose skills collectively include driving big trucks, directing an award-winning film, traveling to almost every continent on Earth, teaching history at the university level, and doing food writing for the likes of Gastronomica. I am blessed to know these women. We laughed, drank, colored, did each other's dishes, walked on the beach, and cooked for each other. 

I ended up making breakfast on Saturday morning. Along with baking kolaches, I wanted to do something savory that reflected my Texas-Czech heritage. Pan frying pork and garlic sausage was an easy decision, but I needed to accommodate a non-meat eater (who does eat eggs.) A search for vegan sausages at HEB rewarded me with a kielbasa-flavored product made by Tofurky. My cousin would not have to feel like she was being cheated out of anything in the meal - even her vegan sausages smacked of Central European flavors. And the package commanded (suggested?) "Just Add Polka."


Sure I could have just fried or scrambles eggs in addition, but I had run across the recipe below for scrambled eggs with tomatoes in a Czech Heritage Society cookbook. I try to incorporate vegetables into my breakfast as much as possible, since I don't seem to eat enough the rest of the day. That recipe plus some ideas from querying Texas Czechs on Facebook about mushrooms made a complete Texas-Czech(ish) breakfast. 

This lovely, peaceful photo by my cousin-in-law, Net, exemplifies the rewards of getting up early for breakfast, even when you're on vacation.



Scrambled Eggs and Tomatoes
Dr. Stanislav Makal, Praha, Czecoslovakia, submitted by Willa Mae Cervenka, in Czech Reflections: Recipes, Memories and History by the McLennan-Hill Chapter of the Czech Heritage Society, pg. 107    
1 tablespoon butter or Crisco
4 eggs
1 large tomato, sliced
Optional: small sliced onion
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste 
In skillet, sauté the onions and tomatoes in Crisco or butter. Add eggs, pepper and salt. Stir and fry until eggs are done. Serve warm.



Scrambled Eggs and Mushrooms
Dawn Orsak
1 tablespoon butter
4 eggs
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste 
In a skillet, sauté the mushrooms and the caraway seeds in butter until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the eggs, salt, and pepper. Stir until the eggs are set to your liking. Serve warm.



The recipe above was inspired by the following comments by some Facebook friends in response to a question about Texas Czechs' favorite ways to eat mushrooms:
Larry V. - We called it smazenice, onion and mushroom sauteed together with caraway seed and eggs scambled over that mixture. 
Jana R. - Mushroom, egg, knedliky in any combination. 
Donna C. - My mother's favorite memory of her dad is he went mushrooming hunting. He would fry them in butter.
I did make a pan of kolaches from this recipe I've posted before, which makes 24. This time I made apple kolaches (from dried and fresh apples with cinnamon, a little butter, and a little sugar) and cream cheese kolaches. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a