Skip to main content

Dougal Makes Cream Cheese Rolls


When my 14-year-old son asks to bake something (himself), especially something from his ethnic heritage, well history, nostalgia, and pride tell me to say yes. My oldest son asked to make cheese rolls (or buchta in Czech) which is one of his favorite sweets. We didn't get started until late on a Friday night, after dinner out, after going to see the new Percy Jackson movie, after a trip to the grocery store to get the ingredients because I hadn't planned well. But we did it. How could I discourage such an urge?

My grandmother, maybe around the same age my son is now. 
Cheese rolls are not dinner rolls with cheese on them; they are jelly-roll type sweets of yeasted dough filled with sweetened cream cheese. We used my grandmother Anita (Morkovsky) Kallus' recipe, which is below. A buchta can actually have in it some of the same things that kolaches are filled with... poppyseed, apricots, cream cheese, but also pecans, brown sugar, raisins or whatever else might strike your fancy. They can also be shaped so that the dough is braided on top, which is lovely. They can be sprinkled with white sugar, posipka (like streusel) or a glaze, which I'm not normally fond of (too sweet), but my son and I used it sparingly.

Cream cheese roll or buchta.
I want Dougal to be unafraid to try recipes. I had convinced myself for all of my 20s that I couldn't bake anything with yeast in it. I'm not sure why because I loved to cook and actually did it quite a lot. Thank goodness I got over that after watching many other woman make the things I wanted to make. So, baking together was a chance for me to show my son that, with just a little knowledge, he could dive in and try something.

Rolling out one quarter of the dough after refrigerating it overnight. 
We talked about what "scalding" meant; about not having the water too hot when you sprinkle the yeast on top; how sticky is too sticky for the dough and when it needs more flour; how to keep the rolling pin from sticking to the dough; how to leave a border of dough around the filling so he could seal the edges once the buchta was rolled up; not to cut the buchta too soon after taking it out of the oven or the filing oozes out all over the pan. I felt like I actually taught him something which, as any mom with a teenager knows, is priceless. Dougal did a fantastic job... so much so that, after seeing the entries in the buchta bake-off at WestFest last Sunday, I'm going to encourage him to enter the contest next year.

Spreading the filling onto the rolled rectangle of dough with
the back of a spoon.
When we were all done, he basically ate an entire buchta himself, half almost straight out of the oven and half for breakfast the next morning after that. Luckily he runs cross country so the 7 miles a day keep the pounds off him. My office mates finished off another roll in nothing flat. Homemade cheese roll is so much better than what you can get in a commercial bakery. The yeast, the butter, the vanilla, the rich cream cheese, no preservatives... you really can taste the love in them.

Rolling up the buchta. 

Cream Cheese Rolls
1 8-ounce carton sour cream, scalded
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 t. salt
1 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees)
2 eggs beaten
4 cups all-purpose flour
melted butter for brushing.
Filling (see below)
Glaze (see below)

Combine the scalded sour cream, sugar, butter and salt; mix well and let cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a big bowl. Stir in sour cream mixture, then eggs. Gradually stir in flour (dough will be sticky). Add more a tablespoon at a time, if TOO sticky. Cover and chill overnight.

Two of the four buchty starting to rise.
Filling:
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Divide dough into 4 portions. Turn each one out on a heavily floured surface and knead 4 or 5 times. Roll each into a 12 x 8" rectangle. Spread 1/4 of filling over each. Roll up jelly roll fashion. Cover and let rise. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

The cream cheese filling.
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together until smooth. Spread loaves with glaze while warm. Makes 4, 12" loaves.

Real Texas-Czech men BAKE!

Comments

  1. Your blog is an inspiration Dawn. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita Morkovsky Kallus was my Cousin, her parents Alois and Marie Raska Morkovsky were my GG Aunt and Uncle. My G Grandparents were Jan and Veronika Konvicka Raska. Is this recipe from Aunt Marie Raska Morkovsky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to have missed this comment. This recipe is actually from my Great Aunt Bessie, Anita's sister. That makes her your cousin, too! Hope you try the recipe and thanks for reading.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the response Cousin, I will be making this for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hope you all have a Great Holiday Season.

      Terry Tate

      Delete
    3. I am looking for more specifics on how to roll up the dough. I believe my friend's mother rolled it in a way that the ends were tucked in. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a