Skip to main content

The "Texas" in Texas-Czech



Last week, my father turned 70 and we celebrated with a family lunch. He is a Texan first and a Texas-Czech (and Texas Pole) second, and the menu he chose for his celebratory meal reflects that. I could say the meal was stereotypical, but I like to think rather that my father is a bearer of traditions and his choices were made (consciously or not) to ensure the rest of his family is continually reminded of our roots - culinary, family, cultural, regional, ethnic and otherwise. The birthday menu was the following (with the maker of each dish in parenthesis):

Appetizers:
Chips with salsa, queso, guacamole (ordered from local restaurant)

The tools of a Texas barbecue man.

Lunch:
Barbecued chickens (Dad - that's right, he cooked for his own party)
Barbecue sauce (Mom)
Boracho beans (family friend)
Cole slaw (me)
Potato salad (my Aunt Charlene)
Pickles from my parent’s canning pantry

Dessert:
Lemon meringue pies (Mom)
Chocolate cake (Mom)

Aunt Charlene's Potato Salad
I made the cole slaw. That and potato salad are not exclusively American, not Southern, not Czech, but associated with all three cultures. (There’s an interesting history of cole slaw on the online Food Timeline by Lynne Oliver.) Czechs eat cabbage in many forms, including dressed with vinegar. The recipe I used is below, tested from a KJT cookbook I had from the 90s.  The submitter has a very Czech last name (Spacek, like the actress, only it’s actually pronounced like “Spah-check”), though the method seems pretty typical of an American cole slaw.

I got enthusiastic reactions on the final result of the dish and the leftovers lasted for days in the refrigerator. At first, I thought it might be too sharp, but it was the perfect complement to the smoky chicken and the ridiculously creamy potato salad my Aunt Charlene brought.


Cabbage Slaw (make 24 hours before serving)
Cole Slaw
From Mrs. Ernest (Gussie) Spacek in “Recipes Old and New” by the Catholic Union of Texas, The K.J.T., 1996

1 medium cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, sliced (white)
1 c. sugar less 2 Tbsp.

Mix onion, sugar and cabbage.

Dressing:
1 Tbsp. sugar
¾ c. oil
1 c. vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. mustard seed

Boil 5 minutes. Pour over the cabbage (hot). Cover and place in the refrigerator.

* My variations…. I added ½ a green pepper, ½ a yellow pepper and ½ a red pepper, all sliced thin. Instead of pouring the hot dressing over the slaw, I let it cool first. My family likes our cole slaw crisp and crunchy.  I did not make the salad 24 hours before, only about 2 hours before. 


For decorations at the party, my Dad’s grand and great-grandchildren drew pictures of and for my Dad… there were images of my Dad in boots and a cowboy hat, one of my parents getting married, and one that said “Best Barbecue.” My Dad’s gifts, too, reflected his love of the West and its history. He got a cactus, a copy of the film “The Assassination of Jesse James”, and books about the beef industry, cowboy stories, and music at the battle of the Alamo. But the big present was a gift certificate for a pair of custom made boots by the celebrated Houston bootmaker Rocky Carroll.  This man has made boots for presidents, governors, actors, Mickey Gilley, and Dolly Parton. His father made boots for Gene Autry.

Dad's favorite... Mom's lemon meringue pie.
At some point during the party, my Dad was having a little moment to himself in a big, comfy chair in the corner of my sister's den. He called me over to tell me that he’d already decided what designs he’d have on his boots. On the top of one would be two crossed flags… one Texas and one Polish, with the date of 1853 underneath, which is the date my father’s earliest ancestor came from Poland (to settle in Panna Maria, Texas, no less… the oldest Polish settlement in the US.) On the other boot would be the Texas and the Czech flags with the date of 1868 underneath, the date our first Orsak ancestor to come to Texas from Novy Hrozenkov in Moravia.

My father was teary eyed when he told me of this plan. Custom boots are a very, very serious matter. And so are Texas, and family history, and barbecue, and turning 70. I felt all this acutely with him and got teary eyed, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a