Skip to main content

Potato Soup (Bramborova Polevka)

Potato soup doesn’t sound very Spring-like, but that’s my latest recipe test. A couple of factors bear down heavily on how often I test recipes and what I try… 1) feeding my family (with two boys) and 2) health concerns. If I feel like I’ve had a week where I didn’t eat enough salads and vegetables, then it’s hard for me to justify to myself testing dishes heavy with meat, cream, butter. And if my 13-year-old is with me for the week, my menu becomes even more limited because he’s such a picky eater.

Finished soup in the pot... chunks of potatoes swimming in cream
with flecks of marjoram and thyme.
But he actually loves potato soup, so a weeknight dinner became an opportunity to test a recipe, too. I have at least a dozen recipes in community and other Texas cookbooks for variations of this creamy soup, but I ended up trying the one below because I had (or could fudge) all the ingredients on hand. How Czech is it? I don’t know, but Janak is certainly a Czech last name (the recipe contributor), so I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Here it is copied straight out of the book.



Potato-Buttermilk Soup
by Mary Jo Janak
from Tempting Recipes, collected by Court Sacred Heart #797, Catholic Daughters of America, Hallettsville, TX, 2005 (4th Edition)

1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
2 cups chicken broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon flour
5 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon thyme
salt and pepper

Cook potatoes in broth until tender. Remove from heat; do not drain. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain. Saute onion in bacon grease until golden. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Slowly stir in buttermilk. Cook until mixture thickens. Add onions, potatoes and liquid and thyme. Heat to near boil. Salt and pepper and garnish with bacon. Serves 6.*


There's almost nothing on earth that smells more
delicious than onions sauteing in bacon fat.
Other recipes I’ve found contain everything from carrots and celery to a can of cream of mushroom soup. The classic Czech cookbook for Americans, The Czechoslovak Cookbook by Joza Brizova, first published in 1965, has no potato soup recipe. Neither does the book Best Czech Recipes by Harold Safelner, 2003. I did find one in a little book called The Littlest Czech Cookbook by Milada Williams, 2003. It’s flavored very differently using marjoram, garlic, caraway seeds, mushrooms and a mélange of vegetables - carrots, cabbage, celery and kohlrabi. These are the flavors that I think of as particular to Czech cuisine. In my hunt for Texas potato soup recipes that reflect a Czech origin, perhaps those are all the 'buzzwords’ that I should be looking for.


I've made potato soup my entire adult life almost exclusively from a recipe I got in 8th grade Home Economics in 1980, because I don't have any "family" recipes for potato soup.  But, I know the potato was an important foodstuff in what is now the Czech Republic when the majority of people (including my foremothers) immigrated. In fact, in Moravia in the 19th century, the potato was crucial to survival. There was a saying in Moravia - "potatoes and cabbage; that's all our being." The poor, especially in the more mountainous regions, heavily relied upon potatoes for day to day meals because they were relatively easy to grow. Cooks made things like dumplings, pancakes, bread and pastry dough, and, of course, soup.


After testing the unadulterated recipe above, I whirred my son's up in the blender (he doesn't like chunks of veggies.) We all garnished additionally with cheddar cheese and diced scallions like our bowls contained a liquified baked potato. The soup was actually delicious... very rich (bacon fat, butter and cream!!) with a strong, fresh herb taste. I'll be eating salads for the next couple of days to tip the nutritional scales in my favor for this week.


Potatoes cut into 1/2" chunks simmering in chicken broth
to which the thyme and marjoram were added. 
* Practical notes about the recipe - I used russet baking potatoes, which I would not use again... no flavor. I used Central Market Organics low sodium chicken broth. The recipe doesn't specify fresh or dried thyme. I used thyme and marjoram that had been fresh a few days ago from Monument Café’s garden but was now dried. I used Applegate Farms uncured bacon. 6 slices rendered 1/4 cup of bacon fat which was a disgusting amount to put in a pot of soup, so I drained all but 1 tablespoon off to saute the onions. The recipe doesn't specify how much butter to stir the flour into... I used 2 tablespoons. I didn't have buttermilk, but did have a combination of 1/2 and 1/2 and whipping cream to which I added a teaspoon of lemon juice for every cup of liquid. I also added a teaspoon of salt after all the ingredients were combined and simmering together.


Credits:
"The Wallachian Potato," article by Kevin Hannan, KJT News, March 1988.
"Wallachia Kitchen," essay by Milena Habustova, Roznov, Moravia, Czech Republic, date unknown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a