Skip to main content

Orsak Reunion 2011


Yesterday, I was at the annual Orsak reunion outside of Ganado, TX on Lake Texana... hot as blazes and we worried about alligators eating our small children, but we let them get in the water anyway. There are so many reasons to go to a family reunion that outweigh the difficulty of driving 8 hours out of 24 with a 2-year-old. For example, I hope my kids will be imprinted with the importance of keeping family ties tied. Also, going makes my Dad happy. We got to see my 91-year-old grandmother that lives north of Dallas. And I found out that another one of my relatives plays the accordion, Don Orsak, who strolled around the hall playing sweet waltzes and polkas that would make my grandmother spontaneously shuffle around in a circle dancing with herself and a smile on her face.

Then there's the food... tables and bowls and mounds and boxes and roasters and tin-foil-covered cardboard trays full of it.



This year there was a really good spread; mostly homemade and with lots of variety (except for the vegetables. "There are never any green vegetables," my mom complains.) See my plate below covered with brown and beige this and that.

Here's what we ate (hm=homemade):
fried chicken
barbecued shrimp, ribs, brisket (bought in Edna)
barbecued chicken (hm)
beef and hominy stew with white rice (hm)
ham x 2 (hm)
baked turkey (hm)
dressing x 2 (hm)
shrimp jambalaya (hm)
chicken enchilada casserole (hm)
baked chicken and sausage (hm)
smoked sausage x 3 (hm)
sauerkraut with sausage (hm)
macaroni and cheese

broccoli and rice casserole (hm)
yellow squash with tomatoes and fresh basil (hm)
cheese and vegetable pie (hm)
corn on the cob (hm)
boiled potatoes (hm)
pork and beans x 2 (hm)
pasta with marinara (hm)
coleslaw (hm)
raw veggies with ranch dip
tossed green salad x 2 (hm)
cornbread salad (hm)
Greek pasta salad with grilled chicken (hm)
chicken salad (hm)
fruit platter
fruit salad (hm)
dill pickles
kvasena/crock pickles (hm)
deviled eggs x 2 (hm)
cheese and bacon-stuffed jalapenos x 2 (hm)
white bread

The sweets:
cheese roll x 3 (2 hm and one from Prasek's in Hillje)
German chocolate cake (hm)
ginger blueberry pound cake (hm)
apricot roll (hm)
snickerdoodles (hm)
apple crunch (hm)
pecan pie (hm)
pear pie x 2 (1 hm)
lemon meringue pie
apple strudel (from Catholic Daughter's fundraiser)
banana pudding (hm)
brownies (hm)
chocolate bundt cake (hm)
Oreo pie
chocolate chip cookies (hm)
poppyseed bundt cake (hm)

I love the mix of Czech (sausage, sauerkraut, kvasena, potatoes, coleslaw, kolaches) and South/Coastal Texas (cornbread, hominy, jambalaya, barbecued shrimp, stuffed jalapenos, pecan pie.) The menu is a true snapshot of my Dad's branch of the Orsak family, whose ancestors originally came from Novy Hrozenkov in Moravia, eventually settled in Blessing and branched out through South-Central Texas from there.

I go to reunions partly for those gems of traditional food that magically appear some years, like the sausage and sauerkraut. Don, the accordion player, and his wife Gladys grated, fermented and canned the sauerkraut themselves and they used local meat-market sausage. Asking about just one dish can lead to an afternoon's worth of conversation about Texas-Czech food. Gladys (a Novak) grew up on a self-sufficient family farm with a garden, smokehouse, larder, and even a poppy patch for... you guessed it... harvesting the seeds for baked goods. It seems like it would be an ancient practice, but Gladys is only 61.

On the way back home, I drove one of the prettiest roads in Texas... FM 530 between Hallettsville and Edna. I passed a wooden, one-story house with a long front porch and seven acres for sale nestled among trees whose green belied the extreme drought. The rest of the trip I fantasized about my retirement in a place like that, hoping each of my two sons has five kids that come to visit me. (I'm going to look EXACTLY like my grandmother - see below.) I'll make sausage, have a poppy field for poppyseed rolls, make pear strudels from my own trees, tend my garden and put up pickles, catch fish in my stocked pond to bake for Christmas Eve, gather eggs for kolaches... and maybe teach cooking classes there so these foods aren't lost.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a