Skip to main content

1st Annual Kallus Chili Cook-Off and Reunion

Earlier this month, cousins and aunts and uncles from my mother's side of the family met in Hallettsville at my grandparents' house (who are both deceased) for what we hope will be the first annual Kallus Reunion and Chili Cook Off. My grandparents were Texas Czechs 100%; both of their fathers were actually born in Moravia. But steaming, spicy chili runs deep in the veins of their descendants, supporting the "Texas" half of us being Texas Czech.




I spent many weekends in junior high and high school at cook offs around South Central Texas. My father and the team he was a part of (which included friends and my Uncle Johnny Kallus) won many chili contests, but also barbecue, beans, sauce, and "wild card" contests. My father and his team even represented Texas at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in 1996, hauling their huge barrel barbecue pit all the way to the National Mall in Washington D.C. to do cooking demonstrations. The chili recipe his team (Bull Hookers Chili) refined was my go-to recipe for the family contest. It had won serious competitions and was my idea of what chili was supposed to be. I had not however, as far as I can remember, actually made my Dad's chili more than maybe once or twice, probably over a decade ago. But I'm a good cook and didn't have much time to think about the process beforehand, so decided to just throw it together the morning of our family get together. 


My family is so big that there were six other entries in our cook off. The real reason for the event was just for us all to get together during the year at a time other than Christmas, but my uncle George and lots of cousins took the contest very seriously. Plus we had to collectively feed 47 people, so seven pots of chili was a great way to do it. If the rest of my cousins and aunt and uncles had attended, there would have been over another 50 people at the event. I wonder what the backyard and kitchen would have looked like with six or seven more teams. But the more the merrier, for sure, though we probably would have had to rent port-a-potties.



I have very specific ideas about what "chili" means, so was surprised at some of the creative and tasty recipes that my cousins used. Ingredients ranged from tomatoes to potatoes, cinnamon to Serranos and meats included not just traditional beef, but venison, elk, and pork. Some chilis were spicy, some were sweet. Two teams cooked outside on propane burners, some of us cooked on my grandmother's stove inside, and some people brought their's already made and kept it warm in crock pots.





For dinner, family members ate bowls of chili sprinkled with cheese or raw onions, poured their chili over hot dogs, or made Frito pies. We served fruit salad and a grilled corn and zucchini salad on the side with chips and dips and homemade klobasniks and cookies all at the same time. There was beer, wine, iced tea, and lemonade.


The real spiciness, the real sweetness of the day, came from the conversations, jokes, smiles, and stories shared among first cousins, grandchildren and grandparents, aunts and uncles. My grandparents moved into the house we were having fun in in 1938 and every single person at the event, from my 79 year old uncle to the one year old daughter of one of my cousins, had known the house their entire lives. When we were little, my first cousins and I would sleep in the living room on palettes, giggling late into the night, and listening to our parents talking in the kitchen. Now we're making the palettes for children and grandchildren and we're the ones up until midnight with a beer playing Scrabble or cleaning the kitchen. My grandparents are dead and even my mom passed away this year, so being with my cousins and aunts and uncles in my grandparents' incredibly special house grounds me and reminds me how I, at least in part, became who I am. Cooking together, sharing food, and cleaning up afterwords are a big part of that. 



So, though we only gave out trophies (donated by my dad from his extensive collection) for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for chili (plus a Showmanship trophy), really we all won big emotionally. Four of my cousins and their whole families flew from Las Vegas to reconnect with Texas family and spend time together... a huge and immensely generous effort. The event stretched into a whole weekend - we fed each other, talked and listened to each other, and loved each other. It was a beautiful thing and we were quick to set the date for next year. (When I will be defending my 1st place win with my Dad's recipe.) 

Photo by Dougal Cormie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a