Skip to main content

Chef's Table



I rarely watch television, but in the last few weeks, both my sons and I have seen several episodes of Chef's Table on Netflix. My favorite is about the chef Magnus Nilsson and his restaurant Fäviken in Jämtland, Sweden. Nilsson created a menu that drew almost exclusively from ingredients that could be foraged or grown and raised on the land and in the waters near the restaurant. Since the area is covered in snow for months of the year, dishes utilize produce and meat preserved in various ways, from pickling, storing in a root cellar, and salting and drying. Nilsson also researched and wrote the massive Nordic Cookbook, in which he collected recipes from home cooks from all over Scandinavia and other countries.

I know, of course, that my Texas Czech great grandmothers (and even one more generation back) also foraged for and grew and raised what they ate every day. But I never knew them, so have no direct knowledge of what they grew, or how they cooked what they grew. No recipes survived my great grandmother or her mother. And by the time I was an adult, my grandmother, who lived her adult life in town, no longer gardened. I have certainly been exposed to and eaten traditional foods. I've learned to make others through various members of my family and the Texas Czech community. But last weekend, I felt I'd walked into a Texas-Czech episode of Chef's Table when I visited my cousin Ann Adams near Floresville.

I visited Ann with her sister, Mary Christine (at left) - a nun at Our Lady of the Lake in San Antonio, so that we could see some family memorabilia Ann had. But the day ended up being so much about food. Though I know a lot about Czech food in Texas, it's really more from study as an adult than absorption as I grew up. At Ann's, I felt like the proverbial city slicker who thinks milk comes from cartons instead of an animal's mammary glands.  The house that Ann and her husband Gerald occupy near Floresville was built by her parents in the 1960s and is on land that is abundant with edible things. This fact is combined with Ann's knowledge of Texas Czech and Czech cooking and yields delicious results.

For lunch, the spread we sat down to at Ann's "chef's table" included sandwiches (homemade pimiento cheese and homemade tuna), deviled eggs, a salad of homegrown tomatoes, bread cubes, and basil, plus jars of pickles and pickled okra to help myself from, and iced tea.  Ann's family has strong connections to the Czech Republic (her mother immigrated just before World War 1) and she and her sisters have visited relatives there many times. We ate off of plates she'd purchased there. Farther down on the same enormous table was an enormous pile of basil, literally the size of a bush. Ann confessed to eating a lot of basil, and that she was going to dry it for use in the coming year.

After lunch, Ann's daughter (my second cousin), Christine, and a friend of hers and I walked out onto the property to see the state of the wild grape vines. I was hoping to head home with enough for a batch of jelly, my younger son's favorite. Sadly, there were no grapes to be had. Either the vines hadn't produced or the grapes had shriveled and fallen off without Ann knowing they'd been there. We did to walk past fields of wild flowers that grow on the property and Christine remarked how lovely it was to see various flowers coming up as the seasons passed, continually renewing the fields with different colors.


Late in the afternoon, we sampled Ann and Gerald's homemade cantaloupe wine, which was much less sweet than you'd think. Ann ushered me into their bedroom to show me the almost-empty carbo, plus an almost-full carbo of persimmon wine that were both sitting on the floor in front of the glass doors that went out to the screened-in porch. We could see a male and three female wild turkeys parading around the yard beyond the porch. They don't shoot the turkeys because Gerald doesn't think turkey is worth eating. I have to agree with him. Turkey is my least favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal. Maybe that's why the turkeys on Gerald's property come so close to the house... nothing to fear.

    

We talked about snakes (Ann was bitten by a rattle snake once), rural kids being "farm strong", Ann's desire to forage on the property for whatever she could find, and kolach fillings. Apparently Ann's across-the-road neighbor grows poppies to harvest the seeds for baking. This is a task I've longed to learn how to do, but always seem to find out about someone who still does it after the right season to help. But we also talked South Texas influences on her cooking, theorizing about prickly pears and cajeta (caramel made from goat's milk) in kolaches.

At the end of the day, as Sister Mary Christine and I prepared to go, a neighbor dropped in to relay news about his wife's cancer treatment and brought a dozen beautiful yard eggs of varying colors. And as I passed through the laundry room/pantry to head out to the car, Ann handed me a jar of homemade pear butter. I left longing to come back and spend weekends cooking, canning, picking, and otherwise absorbing the knowledge she has about traditional Texas Czech food. And inspired to experiment with more and more dishes for my own table. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Buchta with Nuts and Raisins

In his photo book Journeys into Czech Moravian Texas , author Sean N. Gallup wrote a few paragraphs about food in contemporary Texas- Czech culture. During his fieldwork, he observed "Other Texas-Czech pastries [besides kolaches ] include klobasniky .... and buchta , a larger fruit filled loaf.... " (Texas A&M University Press, 1998). Though my grandmother made an apricot buchta (or she just called it a roll), more common buchty might be poppyseed or cream cheese. Less common seems to be the buchta I've made filled with nuts and raisins. The Czech word " buchta " doesn't seem to be surviving as well as the word " kolach " either, for though Gallup mentions it third in a list of common Texas Czech pastries, I've found it almost impossible to find a recipe in a community cookbook that actually uses the word buchta . Instead, I find recipes for "rolls".  Still, Westfest actually has a buchta category in it's annual baking c

What I Learned Making 600 Kolaches

Photo by Lori Najvar. The last week in July, I launched a home baking business called Old School Kolaches,  offering pans of made from scratch kolaches, delivered to customers' doors. I got laid off in April and in reaction to scrolling endlessly through disheartening job boards at 50 years old, I decided I'd try doing something I'm good at and passionate about that might also pay some of my bills (work and love don't always go together unfortunately.) It remains to be seen whether this can be instead of or in additional to a standard 9 to 5 job for me. Austin, though it's the state capitol, is a wasteland when it comes to traditional kolaches. The one place I went to here that had decent kolaches closed down only weeks ago. There are instead two kolache bakery  chains , countless donut shops that offer hotdogs wrapped in croissants or tasteless dough and call them kolaches, or one hipster beer and kolaches place that "elevates the classic Central Texas C

Razor Blade (Green Grape) Pie

Behind my grandmother's house in Hallettsville, TX grows an epic grape vine. As far as my mother knows, it's at least 70 years old since she's 71 and it's been there as long as she can remember. It's impossible to tell where the vine actually comes out of the ground or where the end of the vines reach, since they're draped and snaked around and through and over a chinaberry or hackberry tree and onto a huge oak in front of the barn. It's a source of wonder for my 9-year old who sees the mass of leaves and branches as a combination shady fort / animal graveyard (found an entire large animal's skeleton underneath) / potential snake lair. I talked with the extremely nice Lavaca County A&M AgriLife Extension agent in hopes of identifying the variety of grapes. A quick internet search of photos of leaf shapes revealed that they're muscadine, not mustang grapes, but when they're ripe, they're white/green, not the bronze or purple named in A&a